BUFFALO MOZZARELLA BRUSCHETTA
Bruschetta is an Italian snack or appetizer of toasted bread rubbed with olive oil and seasonings and topped with various ingredients. The combination of garlic, tomatoes, and basil is classic; fresh mozzarella adds body. Buffalo mozzarella, made from the milk of the domesticated water buffalo, is a southern Italian delicacy, now widely available here packed in brine and refrigerated. The American product may not equal the Italian original, but it is still richer and creamier than cow’s milk mozzarella, as well as higher in protein and calcium.
- 8 large slices country-style Italian bread 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 garlic cloves pressed and allowed to sit for 10 minutes 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar ¾ cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 12 ounces buffalo mozzarella torn into bite-size pieces Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Brush the slices of bread liberally with olive oil and grill or toast until crisp and lightly browned.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes so the flavors meld.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. Spoon the mixture over the toasted bread and serve.
See also Paella recipe