Hummus is one of the best-known and most popular Middle Eastern dips. Served with fresh or toasted pita bread, hummus makes a great snack or appetizer. Tahini is an important part of the hummus recipe and cannot be replaced; however, it can be omitted, if you like, as in the variation.
- 1 16-oz. can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 3 –5 tbsp. lemon juice depending on taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp. tahini
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 –2 tbsp. olive oil
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid from can. Combine chickpeas, water or stock, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and salt in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of reserved liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3–5 minutes on low speed until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus. Add olive oil in the well. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately with warm or toasted pita bread. If preferred, cover and refrigerate until required, and add the final oil and parsley garnish just before serving.
Healthy Low Calorie Hummus Recipe