Sprouting broccoli with shallots and mustard-recipe
Home cooking is more about sharing good meals with friends and family than showing off cheffy skills. Cooking should be fun , not stressful, so don’t get too anxious about it all. This side dish makes good use of in-season sprouting broccoli. It’s rich in vitamin C, and also a source of carotenoids, iron, folic acid, calcium, fibre and vitamin A
Sprouting broccoli with shallots and mustard
- 450 g sprouting broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 banana shallots, sliced in to thin discs
- 2 tbsp coarse grain mustard
- 3-4 tbsp classic vinaigrette
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the classic vinaigrette (makes 120ml)
- 20 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 First, make the vinaigrette. Put the vinegar in a bowl, season well and mixuntil the salt is completely dissolved. Add the olive oil and mustard, then whisk everything together.
- 2 Trim the tough ends of the broccoli stalks. Bring a pan of salted water tothe boil, add the broccoli and cook until tender. Drain immediately and set asideat room temperature.
- 3 Saute the garlic in olive oil, but do not allow it to brown.
- 4 Toss the broccoli with the garlic and shallots, then add the mustard andvinaigrette. Season and serve.