Whole poached and dressed salmon-recipe
Recipe-Whole poached and dressed salmon
A classic for cold buffets, traditionally served with hollandaise sauce.
Servings 8 SERVES
- 2–3 kg salmon scaled, gutted through the gills and trimmed
- 3–4 quarts court bouillon
- 1 piece cucumber, thinly sliced
- 24 piece unpeeled, cooked shrimp, deveined
- 1 handful of sprigs
- 1¼ cup aspic jelly (optional)
- 1¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 piece lemon(grated zest of 1 lemon, and a squeeze of juice)
- Make sure the fish is clean and the bloodline has been removed. Trim the tail into a “V”shapewith scissors
- Arrange the fish in a suitable flameproof baking tray or on the trivet of a fish kettle.Pour in the court bouillon. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so the liquid barelyquivers. Cook for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave the fish in the liquid foranother 15 minutes. Remove from the fish kettle and allow to cool completely.
- Very carefully peel away the top skin of the fish, carefully turn, and remove the skin fromthe other side. Slide on to a serving dish. Arrange slices of cucumber over the fillets and decorate with shrimp and dill. If it is not to be served within an hour or two, a coating of aspic can keep it glossy. Follow the package instructions to make the aspic, cool completely, then spoon over the top of the garnish and fish.
- Mix the lemon into the mayonnaise and serve separately, with potato and side salads
- Prepare aheadPoach the fish up to 6 hours ahead, cover, and refrigerate. Return to room temperature before garnishing and serving
The ﬁsh: Salmon, or sea trout, large brown trout, or large rainbow trout and shrimp
See also other recipes with salmon
See here If you want to know how to gutt a salmon through the gills