Tom Kha Kai Thai chicken soup recipe
Tom Kha Kai Thai chicken soup
Give your immune system a boost with this low-carb chicken soup full of healthy goodness
Servings 4 serves
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 500 g 1lb 2oz free-range chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 7.5 cm 3 in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 100 ml 4fl oz reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 2 spring onions sliced diagonally
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 25 g 1 oz fresh coriander torn
- 1 Bring the stock to the boil in a medium sized pan. Quarter the lemongrass lengthways and crush slightly. Add to the stock with the garlic, chicken, ginger, coconut milk, lime leaves (you can leave these and the lemongrass in the soup, but don't eat them) and chilli. Stir until the soup returns to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2 Add the white parts of the spring onions and the fish sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Cook for 1 minute.
- 3 Add the coriander and spring onion tops. Serve while the greens are vivid, arid squeezed 1/2 lime into each serving.
Per saving. 240 calories. 7g fat (3.5g saturated), 4g carbohydrate
Low-carb tasty Thai soup!